Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Shout Out to Debt Hater

When I was a wee lass, I accidentally ran up a ton of cc debt. Now a lot of this was for good reasons that I don't really want to talk about, but most of it was on stupid things I bought without having a budget. I was at a point where I wouldn't even look at the statement balance each month, just the minimum payment. I'd do the math on how much interest I paid, but I don't want to know.

Several years and several thousand later, I'm almost finished paying everything off, and I'm losing my resolve. I decided to go back to the beginning and reread Debt Hater's blog. She was the first pf blogger I ever read, and something about her optimism and her honesty really kept me going. Also, she has this uncanny way of writing about how I'm feeling

this article is about how you eventually wear out your resolve on this debt free journey. It's about how, you suddenly lose the resolve to save all of your money, avoid going shopping, never go out, never have any fun and never buy anything new.

The truth is, if I had been more responsible this year I would be done paying off my debt for now. I can make all of the excuses in the world, but in truth I guess I just didn't want it bad enough or long enough. Truth is, I still sometimes slip back into that whole "cc debt is ok" mentality, but I just have to keep fighting until it's done.

For those of you single ladies with some hefty debt baggage, I highly recommend her whole blog, but start with the article above.

No comments:

Post a Comment