Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A little decadence goes a long way

Yesterday I decided to go crazy and remove all limits on spending to give myself a "break" from frugal living, and I think it really helped me sort things out.

In total yesterday I spent:

1) $11.78: Fancy whole foods lunch
2) $18.50: Bottle of scotch (small/cheap)
3) $19.10: Groceries for the rest of the week (not on sale and definitely not the most nutritious.

1) I didn't need the lunch. It was good, but not "set $12 on fire" good
2) The scotch was fine, but I realized it's going to take more than a cocktail to help me get over the stress in my life. Due to my increased partying in the past few weeks, my tolerance has skyrocketed, and I don't even feel the effects of drinking. I've also noticed that when I'm stressed out it takes a lot more than I'm wiling to drink to feel anything.
3) The groceries weren't a huge waste. I wasn't frugal about it, but I enjoyed my dinner last night, and that was a nice treat.

I guess I've learned that if I'm going to spend money it should be for a reason. Nothing I bought yesterday will last very long, and any enjoyment I get out of it can't be greater than the peace I'll feel when my credit card debt is eliminated once and for all.

The next time I want to blow money for the hell of it, I'll remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment